Invisalign ® Clear Braces
What is Invisalign®?
The Invisalign® system uses clear trays, rather than metal bands, brackets or wires, to straighten teeth comfortably. The trays also known as aligners, are custom-made to fit the teeth, and are easily removable so that you can eat, drink, brush and floss. The advantage that Invisalign teeth aligners have over regular braces is that they are virtually undetectable.
What Are Some Of The Benefits Of Invisalign Aligners Over Regular Braces?
Invisalign aligners offer many benefits over traditional metal braces. They may include:
- Cosmetic appeal
- Lower cost
- Flexible-payment options
- Less pain
- Greater flexibility because aligners can be removed at any time
- Easier to keep teeth clean and healthy
- No dietary restrictions
- No “tightening” required
Who Are Good Candidates For Invisalign Treatment?
The Invisalign system is an effective tool for straightening teeth, and is suitable for patients who are fourteen years of age and older, and who want to:
- Straighten crooked or misaligned teeth
- Eliminate teeth crowding
- Close up large spaces between the teeth.
- Correct overbites, underbites and crossbites
How Does Invisalign Treatment Start?
The first step is making an appointment to decide whether the Invisalign system is appropriate. Steps in the treatment process include:
- Bite impressions are made and sent out for processing
- Aligners are created using advanced 3-D computer imaging based on the bite impressions
- The patient receives the custom-made aligners
- The patient wears the clear and removable aligners day and night
Aligners should be removed only when the patient is eating, drinking, brushing and flossing; the more they are taken out, the longer it will take to achieve the desired goal. This is key!
How Long Does Invisalign Treatment Take?
Each aligner is worn for one to two weeks, then move on to the next set until the teeth-positioning goal has been met. We would see you for a brief appointment every 6 to 8 weeks to review your progress and to give you the next set of aligners. Typically, the total length of time in Invisalign treatment will vary from patient to patient and can take from a few months to a year from start to finish.
Is Invisalign Treatment Covered By Insurance?
If you have dental insurance that covers orthodontic treatment, Invisalign treatment may also be covered.